Athletic Director, Dr. John Johnson, email@example.com
Athletic Secretary, Karen Wagner, firstname.lastname@example.org
Welcome to the Shawnee Mission South Athletics! I am John E. Johnson, Athletic Director. By reviewing this page, you or your child must be interested in extracurricular sports we offer here at SM South. I have a few thoughts on the importance of you or your child participating. On this page you will find everything you need to inform yourself about what is great about high school sports, and what is needed to participate in high school athletics. I would like nothing more than you or your student become a Raider athlete.
Why become a Raider athlete?
The educational research is clear over the last 3 decades – those students who are engaged in high school athletics and activities are significantly more likely to go to college, score higher on standardized achievement tests, earn higher wages, and are more likely to report having positive relationships with school personnel. You can read more here and here. As you consider participation, please see our sport descriptions and find the sport or sports in which you may be interested. As you do that, please consider the following – become a multi-sport athlete – DO NOT SPECIALIZE! Specialization increases risk of injury, and specialization at a very young age does not increase the likelihood of an athlete achieving elite status within his/her sport. Read more here.
Please pay special attention to the requirements of the PPE, the medical physical examination required by the KSHSAA. We offer “Physical Nights” twice a year – one time in May, and one time in August. Please make sure the PPE is submitted to the Athletic Office NO LATER than the Friday before the sport starts.
Once again – remember, “Nothing Greater than a Raider!”
2021-2022 Sports Information
Fall Sports begin on Monday, August 16, 2021
Winter Sports begin Monday, November 15, 2021
Spring Sports begin Monday, February 28, 2022
In anticipation of your sport, please read/listen to the weekly newsletter and daily announcements and check team websites. Pre-Season information, meetings and where to meet for tryouts will be announced.
Deadline and Forms:
The deadline to turn in forms to the athletic office for winter 2021 sports is Friday, November 12th, 2021. Any athlete turning in forms on Monday, November 15th, 2021 risks their opportunity to participate that day.
Deadlines for Winter and Spring:
Friday, November 12th and Friday, February 25th
Requirements to tryout and participate are below.
- A completed KSHSAA Pre-Participation Physical Exam (PPE), Pre-Participation Exam (PPE) Spanish. Revision of the form is March 2020. Earlier versions of the form will not be accepted. The physical examination date must be May 1, 2021 or after and signed by a medical professional. This includes the mandatory concussion form and transportation form.
- The 2021-2022 SMSD High School Athletic Packet, completed by both parent or guardian and athlete in Skyward (available in July).
Medical Provider for Student Athletes
SMSD recommends all student athletes have an established, ongoing relationship with a medical provider.
· KSHSAA requires a sports physical of student athletes every year after May 1st.
· Injuries requiring a visit to/treatment from a medical provider are easier/quicker to schedule for established patients. Injured athletes want to return to their sport as soon as possible instead of waiting days/weeks to see a medical provider as a new patient.
· Athletes suspected of a concussion can only be cleared to return to play by an MD, DO.
· Athletes diagnosed with COVID-19 can only be cleared to return to play by an MD, DO, or APRN.
· Current updated immunizations are required of all students per KS statute. SMSD excludes students from attending school/athletics without being appropriately immunized. Students receiving ongoing medical care are likely to remain up to date on immunizations and do not risk exclusion from participation.
· Always check with your insurance provider for a list of health care providers.
· Athletes who are uninsured/underinsured may contact the below to become established for medical care:
Health Partnership Clinic: (913) 648-2266