Shawnee Mission South High School Counselors are available to assist students and parents with academic counseling and advisement, personal/social concerns, and post graduation plans relating to career and college. Please contact us at 913-993-7530 if you have any questions or concerns.
For updated District information, check the SMSD Information Central page.
The SMS Counselors hope you are enjoying your summer and staying safe and well.
Our office will re-open on Tuesday, July 27th.
We are excited to have two new counselors joining our team resulting in new organization. Please see below for the new alpha breakdown.
SMS Counselor Student Last Names
Nichole Dosland 9-12th A-C & ELL
Chris Shelby 9-12th D-J
Jasmine Morgan 9-12th K-Q
Kelly Lillis 9-12th R-Z
Traci Johnston Real World Career
TBD College Advisor
- Class Schedules- Schedules will be viewable in skyward on July 26th. Although they are viewable, they are not final. Counselors have just begun the very difficult task of working on schedules that are incomplete or have conflicts. Your patience is greatly appreciated.
If you do have a problem with your schedule please fill out this Schedule Change Request Form (must be done by the student). Only requests that meet the criteria below will be accepted:
- You are missing a graduation requirement.
- You wish to increase or decrease the rigor of your schedule- assuming space is available.
- A teacher has recommended you for a course or has changed his/her recommendation.
- You have a signature program error or conflict.
- You have a physical injury that does not allow participation in a course.
- You are enrolled in a course for which you have not met the prerequisite.
- You are enrolled in a course that you have already completed and received credit.
- Your schedule is incomplete or a class is duplicated.
Do not call or email your counselor with schedule change requests. All requests must be submitted BY THE STUDENT via the Google Form.
If you need assistance from a social worker or counselor regarding academics, mental health support, or resources, let us know.
If this is a life-threatening emergency, please call 911 immediately.
If the emergency is not life-threatening, but you need to talk to someone, support is available 24/7 through Johnson County Mental Health at 913-268-0156,
the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255,
or the CRISIS TEXT Line. Text "HOME" to 741741 to connect with a Crisis Counselor.